Interlibrary Loan Borrowing and Document Delivery
PAGE CONTENTS 4 minute read.
Interlibrary Loan and document delivery services are available to:
- UNT faculty and staff.
- Currently enrolled UNT graduate and undergraduate students.
- UNT retired faculty.
Interlibrary Loan Services are NOT provided for UNT Library Courtesy Card holders or other non-UNT individuals.
Materials owned by the UNT Libraries
- Books: Request through online holds
- Journal articles and book chapters: Request through your ILLiad account
Materials not owned by the UNT Libraries
- Books, journal articles, book chapters, newspapers in microforms
- UNT Libraries materials that are lost, missing, checked out, or not available
- Theses and Dissertations: Check the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database before submitting a request.
Materials Difficult to Obtain
- Rare or fragile materials
- Reference materials
- Complete issues of periodicals
Materials Not Available Through Interlibrary Loan
- Sound recordings
- DVD’s and videos - faculty only - request audiovisual items using the book request form in your ILLiad account.
Submitting ILL Requests
ILL and Document Delivery requests are managed by the ILLiad system. You can submit requests electronically, check requests’ status, access electronically delivered items, apply for renewals, and view a history of your requests from your ILLiad account.
- You must submit one (1) request for each item.
- Provide as much information as possible in your request form.
- If an item is needed by a specific deadline, please indicate the date on the form. If the request cannot be filled by that date, it will be cancelled. For rush items, contact the ILL staff.
Hint: One of the most effective ways to submit requests is via the “UNT Interlibrary Loan” Link that appears on an item record in OCLC’s worldcat. You must be on campus to see this link. Screenshot below.
Books and other interlibrary loan materials must be returned by the due date. Materials may be returned at any of the Libraries’ Service Desks or book drops. All loaned items are subject to recall and are to be returned immediately. Patrons are financially responsible for items that are not returned, lost, or damaged while checked out.
Failure to return Interlibrary Loan materials by the due date may lead to replacement charges levied by the lending library. In order to remain in good standing with our interlibrary loan partners, the UNT Libraries pay replacement charges. The patron is responsible for reimbursing the UNT Libraries. Replacement fees are non-refundable.
Receipt of Materials
Most ILL requests can be filled within 2 to 3 weeks depending on the location supplying the item. Requests which require special attention or handling may take longer. You will be notified when the materials have arrived using the preferred notification method chosen when you created your ILLiad account. Materials are picked up at:
- Library Services Desk, 1st Floor Willis Library
- Sycamore Library Service Desk
- Discovery Park Library Service Desk, Room B112
- Home delivery through distance learning services
A UNT ID card is required to pick up ILL materials.
Length of Loans
Materials are due at the time specified by the lending institution and usually varies from 2 to 6 weeks. “Library Use Only” materials are not to leave the library.
Loans must be returned by the due date. Failure to return materials on time jeopardizes the Libraries’ standing with other institutions. If a book is overdue by 10 days or more, patron is blocked from submitting more requests and library privileges are suspended. All fines and fees assessed by the lending library are passed along to the user.
Please make every effort to complete use of the ILL material within the original loan period. If you need a renewal, please make that request BEFORE the due date. Requests for renewal for overdue material will NOT be made. Renewals are at the discretion of the lending library. Only one renewal period is granted per title with the renewal period generally being 2 weeks.
The copyright law of the United States governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Photocopies or other reproductions can be furnished only under certain conditions:
- Private study
Use of the reproduction for other purposes may make the user liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the request would involve violation of the copyright law. We will use document delivery vendors and the Copyright Clearance Center when possible.