Check Out Laptops
PAGE CONTENTS 3 minute read.
Borrowing Laptops from the Libraries
The UNT Libraries provides laptop checkouts to currently enrolled UNT students. Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Students should visit the library in person with their UNT ID card to checkout a laptop. Laptops must be returned to the service desk from where they were originally checked out.
Laptop Checkout Locations
The following library service desks provide laptop checkouts during hours of operation. MacBooks are only available at Willis Library.
- Willis Library: Willis Library Services Desk, First Floor
- Discovery Park: Library Service Desk, Room B112
The UNT Libraries offers a limited number of laptops for semester checkout. Currently enrolled UNT students can request to be placed on the waitlist.
Additional Guidelines and Reminders
- Do not sync your iPod or other MP3 players with iTunes. You might lose information as the laptops have DeepFreeze on them which will erase anything saved to the hard drive.
- The Libraries are not responsible for the loss of or damage to a user’s file during the loan period.
- The Libraries are not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to, or from, a user’s storage device.
- The Libraries or UNT cannot be held responsible for any information (credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc.) that is compromised through the wireless network.
- The laptop is your responsibility while it is checked out to you. Never leave the laptop unattended.
Saving Your Work
- Do not save any files to the laptops hard drive. They will be erased when the laptop is turned off.
- Files can be saved to a personal storage device or your UNT Student Storage Space on OneDrive.
- Once the computer is shut down, any files saved on the hard drive will be erased.
- Library staff does not provide technical or software support for users.
- If you experience problems with your borrowed laptop, please return it to the appropriate desk. You will be given another laptop, if available.
- Technical Support and Software Application questions may be directed to the Libraries’ Help Desk, or (940) 565-3024. The Help Desk is staffed 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Applications Available on the Laptops
Dell PC Laptops
- Google Earth
- Google SketchUp 8
- Microsoft Office: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher
- Microsoft Visio
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple iTunes
- Google Chrome
- Google Earth
- IBM SPSS
- Office Professional
- Mozilla Firefox
- CDF Wolfram Player
- Laptop borrowers are expected to have read the [Information Security handbook]. The Information Security handbook contains UNT computing guidelines and policy for UNT faculty, staff and students. This document is available for review and print and is required reading for anyone using UNT computing resources. Departments that work with financial, medical, academic, or any other sensitive information are required to read the security handbook and become familiar with the policies and guidelines listed within as a continued effort by The University of North Texas to prevent FERPA, HIPAA, GLBA, DMCA, and [Federal Copyright Law] violations.
- Laptop borrowers are expected to refrain from deleting, modifying, or otherwise altering any hardware or software including display and desktop settings. Personal software or files should not be saved or installed to the laptops hard drive.
- All users are expected to use the Libraries’ wireless access in a legal and responsible manner, consistent with the educational and informational purposes for which it is provided.
- The UNT wireless network should be treated as an insecure network. There can be un-trusted parties between you and anyone with who you communicate, and any information being transmitted can potentially be intercepted by other wireless users. Cautious and informed wireless users choose not to transmit personal information (credit card numbers, social security numbers, passwords or any other sensitive information) while using any wireless connection. Please take appropriate precautions when using the wireless connection.