Services for Persons with Disabilities
PAGE CONTENTS 4 minute read.
UNT Libraries strive to maintain reasonable accommodations for users with disabilities. Any library user with a disability that will require additional accommodations regarding software or equipment must present a written request to:
Assistant Dean, Library Facilities and Systems
Willis Library, Room 260 (940) 565-3024
Policies & Procedures
- The UNT Libraries Disability Accommodation Policy is available online.
- Please also see the UNT Disability Accommodation Policy for Students and Academic Units (16-001).
- University of North Texas AA/EOE/ADA Information.
- As per Library Use Policies, trained service animals are the only animals permitted in the Libraries.
- There are accessible tables, carrels, and computers available on each floor of Willis Library and on the main floors of the Sycamore Library, Media Library, and Discovery Park Library.
- Media Library viewing carrels are wheelchair accessible and a private viewing room is available for patrons with special viewing needs.
Research Assistance Services
- Reference by Appointment: This service is available to those needing in-depth reference assistance. Please inform the staff of your special needs, so they can better accommodate you.
- E-Mail Reference: - E-mail form for submitting questions to reference staff.
- Ask Us: Reference Services at the UNT Libraries.
Social Sciences & Community Engagement Librarian
Users with disabilities that prevent them from retrieving library materials may request at a service desk that materials be pulled for them.
The request for assistance may be made in person, by phone, or by e-mail. Government Documents can make arrangements for community members not affiliated with UNT to use electronic government information products in the Adaptive Computer Lab or other approved facilities.
The following accessible items are available through the Media Library:
Access Services (Circulation & ILL)
- Circulating Items may be renewed through the UNT Library Catalog.
- Circulation also offers material delivery and distance learning services.
- Call the Help Desk at (940) 565-3024 for assistance.
Facilities and Systems supports all the computers in the Libraries, including those with special software to assist patrons with disabilities. All public computers have the following software installed:
- JAWS 13 | JAWS PDF Quickstart Guide
- MAGic 11 | MAGic PDF User’s Guide
- Windows integrated adaptive software
TOPAZ Desktop Magnifier
The TOPAZ Desktop Magnifier is located in the ADA Assistive Devices area on the Second Floor of Willis Library.
- The TOPAZ Desktop Video Magnifier makes seeing printed type, pictures, handwriting and small details easier. Place a letter or picture on the moveable reading table, and adjust the magnification level and the display colors to work best for your eyesight. The document displays in large size on the screen.
The Kurzweil 3000 is located in the ADA Assistive Devices area on the Second Floor of Willis Library.
- The Kurzweil 3000 provides literacy support with built-in tools for reading, writing, and study skills to help students become independent learners.
The Perkins Brailer is located in the ADA Assistive Devices area on the First Floor of Willis Library.
- The Perkins Brailer is available for use by visually impaired patrons.
24 Hour Student Computing Commons @ the Library
The UNT 24 Commons strives to maintain reasonable accommodations for patrons with disabilities. In an effort to best meet the computing needs of patrons with adaptive requests UNT created an adaptive lab. The Adaptive Student Computer Lab is designed specifically to meet the needs of disabled or adaptive needs patrons. The Adaptive Lab is supported by UIT and is located in Sage Hall, Room 330.
Additionally, the 24 Commons strives to provide reasonable accommodations for patrons with disabilities. Every workstation in the computer lab has the Windows Ease of Access Wizard configured for DELL workstations and the Universal Access Wizard for APPLE workstations. Additional adaptive resources on SCL workstation in Willis are: