UNT Summer Archives Institute
The Summer Archive Institute is an experiential learning opportunity designed to immerse students in hands-on archival work, providing valuable experience and training in professional archival practice within the UNT Special Collections department. Each student will receive training to arrange and describe a unique archival collection. Additionally, each week a special collections staff member will lead a discussion about an area of archival practice to provide students opportunities to learn about all aspects of archival work such as preservation, digitization, public service, and instruction. At the conclusion of the Institute students will be asked to give a 3-5 minute “lightening” talk as part of a public presentation.
The Summer Archives Institute will take place on the UNT-Denton campus. Students will work primarily in Willis Library, with some activities taking place at the Library Annex and Research Collections Library, also located in Denton. Students will be supervised by Librarians in the Special Collections department.
May 16 – June 17, 2022
9am-3pm (one hour lunch), 5 hours per day, 125 hours total
Willis Library - Room 443
What students will gain:
- Hands-on experience working with an archival collection
- Opportunity to meet archivists and librarians and explore the different aspects of Special Collections work
- Training in archival processing, arrangement, and description
- At the completion of the practicum students will have work products such as processing plans and finding aids suitable for inclusion in a e-portfolio
- Experience presenting their work as part of a “lightning session”
Student must enroll in the COI Practicum summer section in order to participate in this institute.
Requirements for consideration:
- Current graduate student at UNT
- Completion of INFO 5371 – Archives and Manuscripts, or comparable introductory archival coursework
- Excellent writing skills—including the ability to analyze content, compose concise descriptions, and proofread
- Thorough understanding of English grammar and spelling
- Facility with visual details
- Ability to pay close attention to detail
In order to be considered for the Archives Institute students will need to submit:
- Application Form
- A one-page cover letter describing their interest in the Archives Institute
- Resume or CV
Four to six graduate students will be selected to participate in this year’s Summer Archives Institute. Applications must be submitted by midnight on Monday, April 4. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance no later than April 11, 2022.
We intend to provide $500 stipend to students who complete the Archives Institute and a certificate of completion. We are awaiting approval from student financial services.
When this stipend is approved we will communicate this to the selected students.