Special Collections Coursework Development Grant
The University of North Texas Special Collections invites applications for the Special Collections Coursework Development Grant. We are interested in partnering with faculty to develop assignments for Spring 2022 courses that will utilize materials held by Special Collections. The use of either physical or digitized archival materials will be accepted. Read descriptions of projects from the grant’s previous two cycles (2020, 2019).
Activities and assignments eligible for this grant may include, but are not limited to:
- Bibliographic description
- Document or photograph analysis
- Creative writing exercises
- Creation of digital exhibits and websites
- Documentary film-making
- Contribution of materials to the University Memory Collection
Applications will be accepted through December 10, 2021.
To apply, please submit your draft course syllabus and a 1,000 word maximum statement that details:
- What specific collection(s) held by UNT Special Collections you are interested in using
- How a collaboration with Special Collections would enhance your course
- The assignment you are proposing
- The expected learning outcomes for the assignment
Applications should be emailed to Julie Judkins by Friday, December 10, 2021.
Two grants of $500 each will be awarded. Funds will be made available as research and professional development funding. This funding may be expensed for class supplies, research materials (books, supplies) and/or professional development (conferences, seminars, travel, etc.)
Awardees will be required to meet with Special Collections staff in advance of the Spring semester to coordinate their coursework activity. Meeting via Zoom is an option.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for assistance locating relevant materials for your desired project.
Some notable collections to consider:
- NBC 5/KXAS news archive
- Patricia Fertel Paper Doll Collection, 1865 – 2020
- UNT University Photography Collection
- Denton Fracking Referendum Collection
- The Black Academy of Arts and Letters Records
- LGBTQ Archives, including but not limited to:
- The Civil War and Its Aftermath: Diverse Perspectives
- UNT Center for Media Production Collection
- Denton Chamber of Commerce Collection
- Robert Ray Vaughn Sunday School Artwork
- Texas Society Sons of the American Revolution
The Coursework Development Grant is supported by the Toulouse Archival Research Program Endowment.