UNT Handshake Tips for Working in the Libraries
Welcome, UNT Students!
Looking for a job on campus? Want to gain work experience to develop your professional resume?
Come work at the library! We have many student assistant positions available on the Eagle Careers site.
Working for the library is a great way to develop a variety of workplace skills and no previous library experience is required. You will apply through UNT Handshake and we’ve created a step-by-step guide to getting your application materials uploaded and seen by the library search committees.
What you’ll need:
- A computer and access to the internet
- Student Employment Application to upload
- Copy of your class schedule
- Cover letter which addresses the job description
- Any other required documents or items as noted in the official job posting
TIP: It is important to tailor your resume or cover letter to the position you are applying for. Check out the Career Center’s guides located on the right of this page.
Let’s get started!
- Go to the UNT Handshake site.
Click on Student Login to reach the UNT Handshake login page.
Select Active UNT Students Login Here and sign in with your EUID and Password.
Select Jobs at the top of the screen.
Type Libraries in the search box and select the Part-Time and On-Campus filters. All jobs in the libraries should be visible now.
- Click on the job that appeals most to you.
- TIP: There is a regular and College Work Study posting for each position so please make sure to apply for the correct posting.
- Be sure to read the job description before choosing to apply!
Select the green Apply button to the right of the application deadline.
- An Apply to University of North Texas - Student Employment window will pop up that will allow you to upload your application materials.
- We strongly recommend using the Upload New button to upload your customized materials that address your specific job description.
- TIP: Materials specifically tailored to address job advertisements and descriptions may help bump you to the top of the list.
- Once your materials have uploaded to the system, select Submit Application.
- And now you have completed applying through Handshake!
Other Things To Note:
- Many job postings for library positions require you to provide additional application materials like work samples (i.e. writing samples, videos, and graphic design portfolios). These should be included with your emailed documents.
- Once you have applied in Handshake and sent a copy of all requested materials to the search committee, you will have completed the application process for your desired position! Congratulations! Go have some lunch or something.
- Search committees may notify you of your application status through handshake or email, so be sure to check both places often.