Special Collections Coursework Development Grant
The University of North Texas Special Collections invites applications for the newly established Special Collections Coursework Development Grant. We are interested in partnering with faculty to develop assignments for Fall 2019 courses that will utilize rare books, fine books, facsimiles, maps, photography, archival collections or other types of materials held by Special Collections.
Activities and assignments eligible for this grant may include, but are not limited to:
- Bibliographic description
- Document or photograph analysis
- Creative writing exercises
- Creation of digital exhibits and websites
- Documentary filmmaking
Both in-class activities and assignments that involve asynchronous visits on an individual student basis are eligible for the award. Special Collections is especially interested in exploring opportunities to collaborate with teaching faculty in the STEM disciplines. Applications will be accepted through May 17, 2019. The successful projects will be announced on May 24, 2019.
To apply, please submit your course syllabus and a 1,000 word maximum statement that details:
- What specific collection(s) or books held by UNT Special Collections you are interested in using
- How a collaboration with Special Collections would enhance your course
- The assignment you are proposing
- The expected learning outcomes for the assignment
Applications should be emailed to Jodi Rhinehart-Doty by Friday, May 17, 2019.
Two grants of $500 each will be awarded. Funds will be made available as research and professional development funding. This funding may be expensed for research (books, supplies) and professional development (conferences, seminars, travel, etc.)
Awardees will be required to meet with Special Collections staff in advance of the Fall semester to coordinate their coursework activity and schedule time for one or more class visits to Special Collections.
To locate materials, you can search the UNT Library catalog (use tab “Books & More” and limit search to “Special Collections”) or UNT Special Collections’ finding aids. Please contact email@example.com with any questions or for assistance locating relevant materials for your desired project.
- Some notable collections to consider:
- NBC 5/KXAS news archive
- Bell Helicopter
- Denton Fracking Referendum Collection
- Byrd Williams Photography Collection
- Clark Family Photography Collection
- John Rogers and Georgette de Bruchard Photography Collection (finding aid forthcoming)
- The Black Academy of Arts and Letters Records
- Donald Thomas War Poetry Collection
- Vann Victorian Literature Collection
- LGBTQ Archives
- Margaret Parx Hays Papers
- Dorothy Gray Mills Howard Collection
- Artists’ Books collection
- Miniature books collection
- Yearbooks, university photography, university archives
The Coursework Development Grant is supported by the Toulouse Archival Research Program Endowment.