Media Transfer Services
Self-Service Video Transfer Station
The Media Library’s Self-Service Video Transfer Station allows patrons to transfer VHS tapes directly to DVD.
Using the Transfer Station:
- Use of this station is free of charge.
- This station is self-service. An instructional manual and limited hands-on assistance is available.
- Please view the instructional video in advance to familiarize yourself with the equipment.
- If you require individualized instruction, please call or email the Media Library to schedule an appointment.
Materials Needed to Use the Transfer Station:
- This station can transfer VHS tapes. For other videotape formats, see our paid digitization services
- Users must bring their own blank recordable media (DVD-R, DVD-RW)
- Users must supply their own cables to connect devices to DV, RCA, or S-Video inputs.
- Patrons should use this station for the legal transfer of materials.
- Legal uses may include:
- Transferring content for which you own the copyright (home movies, personal recordings)
- Transferring content when you have received permission from the copyright holder.
- Transferring materials in the public domain
- Transferring materials using the Fair Use doctrine
Fee Based Digitization Services
The Media Library provides archival quality digitization services for library patrons’ personal materials.
Videotape Formats We Can Transfer:
- Formats: VHS, VHS-C, S-VHS
Digitization Fee: $25 per 2-hour tape (longer tapes billed by the hour)
- Formats: Betamax, Betacam, Betacam SP, DVCAM, DVCPRO, Mini DV
Digitization Fee: $35 per tape
*We can provide referrals for digitization of other videotape and motion picture film formats. If you don’t know what format you have, consult the Texas Commission on the Arts’ Videotape Identification and Assessment Guide or contact the Media Library.
- Format: DVD
Fee: 1 disc included; $5 per additional disc
- Format: Hard Drive*
Fee: Cost of drive determined based on final digital file size. Patron may also provide their own Windows-formatted drive.
- Format:: Drop Box*
Fee: No fee
* Files can be delivered as 10-bit uncompressed .mov files or as lower resolution files. The delivered digital file format will be decided in consultation with the Media Library.
Media Preservation Services
The Media Library also provides consultation on the preservation of your media, including film and videotape.
Preservation services may include:
- Hands-on inspection and assessment of media
- Minor repairs of film and videotape
- Recommendations for long-term physical and environmental storage
- Recommendations for digital reformatting
Contact the Media Library to schedule a consultation on this and other media preservation topics.