Hispanic Heritage Month - 2017
Hispanic Heritage Month is one of several “heritage months” that highlight cultures and contributions. “During National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 to October 15) we recognize the contributions made and the important presence of Hispanic and Latino Americans to the United States and celebrate their heritage and culture.” (Source: https://www.hispanicheritagemonth.org) Many libraries participate in hertiage month events. The National Hispanic Heritage Month Library of Congress page has collections and partners. The Programming Librarian’s page, from American Library Association, has ideas for learning more.
Carnaval (UNT event)
- September 19, 2017 from 11:00 -1:00 UNT Union South Lawn ([@UNT_MCC Carnaval tweet])
- About: “Join the Multicultural Center and UPC as we celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with free food, music, and dancing!”
- There will be a library table staffed by Sociology Librarian, Lilly, so feel free come say hi, and pick up some library goodies.
Browse related subjects at UNT Libraries:
- The UNT Libraries has resources, such as print and electronic books, that relate to different areas of Hispanic Heritage. Examples of Subjects to browse are not limited, but include: Hispanic Americans — Literary collections | Hispanic Americans and Mass Media | Hispanic Americans – Ethnic identity | Hispanic Americans – Biography | Hispanic Americans — Poetry
Check out our previous Hispanic Heritage Month Display list of books.
Sample books are located on the Willis Library first-floor book drop available for check out:
- Lotería cards and fortune poems: a book of lives (PS3558.E74 L66 1999) Linocuts by Artemio Rodríguez; poems by Juan Felipe Herrera
- Six kinds of sky: a collection of short fiction (PS3571.R74 S59 2002) by Luis Alberto Urrea
- Red hot salsa: bilingual poems on being young and Latino in the United States (PS591.H58 R43 2005) Edited by Lori Marie Carlson; introduction by Oscar Hijuelos
- Hispanic/Latino identity: a philosophical perspective (E184.S75 G67 2000) by Jorge J.E. Gracia
- Latino chronology: chronologies of the American mosaic ((E184.S75 F543 2007) by D. H. Figueredo
- ¡Bravo!: poemas sobre hispanos extraordinarios (J920 E58br
Spanish, Juvenile Collection) Margarita Engle; ilustrado por Rafael
(See also English version: Bravo!: poems about amazing Hispanics (J920 E58br)
Anything you recommend that is not at UNT Libraries? Feel free to make a suggestion by filling out the New Purchase/Recommendation form.
Please enjoy the display, and the festivities!