Metadata Input Guidelines: Collection
PAGE CONTENTS 2 minute read.
Collection refers to a larger group of resources with a unique collective title to which the resource being described belongs.
Where Can the Collection Information be Found?
This information comes from the institution or from the project manager
How Collection Works in the Metadata Form
- 1. Collection name – drop-down menu
- Yes - to include multiple collections, click ‘Add’ to repeat the field
- Yes (more information)
How Should the Collection be Filled in?
||STAR - Star of the Republic Museum Objects|
||CONVAIR - Convair/General Dynamics Newsletters
WWII - World War Two Collection
- It is important that the correct collection name(s) be entered for the item
- Photograph: Perini Well #1 Coming In
- Collection: ABPHC - Abilene Photograph Collection
- Rare book: Rhymes, for infant minds
- Collection: UNTRB - Rare Book and Texana Collections
- Pamphlet: Control of sugar-beet nematode by crop rotation.
- Collection: ATOZ - Government Documents A to Z Digitization Project
- Collection: USDAFB - USDA Farmers’ Bulletins
- 1936 General Highway Map of Bosque County, Texas
- Collection: SG07 - Rescuing Texas History, 2007
- Music USA Recording Schedule, 1962-1973
- Collection: MLCC - Music Library Conover Collection
- Newspaper issue: The Caldwell News and the Burleson County Ledger (Caldwell, Tex.), Vol. 64, No. 45, Ed. 1 Friday, June 8, 1951
- Collection: TDNP - Texas Digital Newspaper Program
- Collection: CNBCL - Caldwell News and Burleson County Ledger
- Collection: TFG - Tocker Foundation Grant
- Collections are determined based on a large group of related items,
intended to facilitate browsing, such as:
- Topical groupings
- Historic events
- Serial sets – especially full runs of a publication during which the title changes
- Projects sponsored by a grant or special funding
- In some cases, all items from one institution may also belong to a single collection, however, large, distinctive groups may have their own collection
- Although some archival collections may have a corresponding “collection,” small collections or archival series may also be represented as series titles
- UNT Collections Controlled Vocabulary