Due to high demand of services and limited availability, expect delays in processing of requests from some units.
The Special Collections department collects and preserves rare and unique materials including rare books, oral histories, university archives, historical manuscripts, maps, microfilm, photographs, art and artifacts. Special Collections are publicly accessible to students, faculty, staff and the general public.
Notification of service changes in Spring 2021
To limit the spread of COVID-19, UNT Special Collections has expanded our remote access options to reduce the need for in-person research visits to our reading room.
Please continue to use Aeon to initiate your request materials and/or photo-duplication services.
In Spring 2021 we will be offering the following remote access options (to learn more about these options, email Special Collections:
- Complimentary digitization of archival and rare book materials on demand as allowed under copyright law (see our fee schedule for more information)
- Digitization of audio and video materials on a cost recovery basis (see our fee schedule for specific fees)
- Up to 5 hours of complimentary proxy research by a staff member (research services beyond 5 hours are available for a fee of $25/hour)
- Virtual research and reference sessions (staff member will use a camera to page through a portion of a collection or book during a video call)
- Access to over 350,000 digital items from 120 collections through The Portal to Texas History
- Virtual class visits and instruction sessions (to schedule an instruction session please use this form
If the above access methods will not be sufficient for your needs, please contact Special Collections to request an in-person research appointment in our reading room. Research appointments will be offered on a limited basis. Visiting researchers will be expected to wash their hands prior to handling materials and to wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth while on campus in accordance with University policies. Specific guidelines for visiting researchers will be provided by email prior to your visit.
Special Collections Services & Collection Highlights
Browse digital exhibits of Special Collections materials.
The Special Collections Preservation Lab supports the department by preparing collection materials for use, exhibition, and long-term storage. Click here for more info on the Preservation Lab
Special Collections Blogs
- 125 Anniversary Retrospective – All about UNT History, this blog is updated regularly.
- Yesterday’s News – Highlights and new discoveries from the NBC5/KXAS Television News Archive, this blog is updated regularly
- Discovering the Southwest Metroplex – Created as part of a 2014 CLIR grant project, this blog is retired but contains great information on Metroplex history.
Special Collections is always looking for new donations. For more information please see the About Special Collections page.