Determining Feasibility and Costs for Your Project
If you are interested in having UNT’s Digital Projects Lab digitize your materials, it would be best to contact us directly to discuss the specifics of your project. Questions to consider before contacting us:
- Are you willing to have your materials added to The Portal to Texas History?
- Do you own copyright to the materials or have copyright permission to add the materials to the Portal?
- What types of materials do you plan to digitize?
- How many items do you plan to digitize?
Once we have a general idea of what you would like to digitize, we need to determine your partner model. We offer a variety of partnership models based on who is responsible for key elements of the work. The partnership model is an important factor that affects your costs for the project. For more information, please see Partnership Models.
After discussing your proposed project, we can provide you with an estimate of the costs. Your final costs for the project will be based on:
- How the work is divided (see Partnership Models)
- The size, format, and complexity of your items
- Items requiring special handling may be more costly (large maps or posters, scrapbooks containing many different materials, etc.)
- Bound volumes that can be “disbound” for high-speed scanning may be less costly
- The number of items/pages to be scanned, stored, and/or described
- The type of scans required (bitonal, grayscale, color, etc.)
- Shipping and insurance required